- Also flashing point. Physical Chemistry. the lowest temperature at which a liquid in a specified apparatus will give off sufficient vapor to ignite momentarily on application of a flame.
- a critical point or stage at which something or someone suddenly causes or creates some significant action: A 10 percent drop in mortgage rates will produce a flash point in the housing market.
- a critical situation or area having the potential of erupting in sudden violence: The Mideast has been the flash point for a series of conflicts.
- the lowest temperature at which the vapour above a liquid can be ignited in air
- a critical moment beyond which a situation will inevitably erupt into violencethe political mood has reached flash point
- The lowest temperature at which the vapor of a flammable liquid will ignite in air. The flash point is generally lower than the temperature needed for the liquid itself to ignite.
For a given flammable substance, the lowest temperature at which vapors passing from the substance into the air will catch fire spontaneously if a small flame is present.