- a small flower.
- Botany. one of the closely clustered small flowers that make up the flower head of a composite flower, as the daisy.
- one of the tightly clustered divisions of a head of broccoli or cauliflower.
- Also flo·rette [flaw-ret, floh-] /flɔˈrɛt, floʊ-/. spun silk obtained from floss.
- Printing. flower(def 6).
- a small flower, esp one of many making up the head of a composite flower
c.1400, flourette, from Old French florete “little flower; cheap silk material,” diminutive of flor “flower,” from Latin flora (see flora). Botany sense is from 1670s.
- A small or reduced flower, especially one that is part of a larger inflorescence, such as those of the grasses and plants of the composite family.