noun, plural flum·mer·ies.
- oatmeal or flour boiled with water until thick.
- fruit custard or blancmange usually thickened with cornstarch.
- any of various dishes made of flour, milk, eggs, sugar, etc.
- complete nonsense; foolish humbug.
noun plural -meries
- informal meaningless flattery; nonsense
- mainly British a cold pudding of oatmeal, etc
1620s, a type of coagulated food, from Welsh llymru “sour oatmeal jelly boiled with the husks,” of uncertain origin. Figurative use, of flattery, empty talk, is from 1740s.