- a start, as in sailboat racing, in which the entrants begin moving before reaching the starting line.
- a start or beginning of anything, characterized by the participant’s vigor and enthusiasm and sometimes by a certain advantage over competitors: She’s off to a flying start in her new job.
- Also called (informal): flyer (in sprinting) a start by a competitor anticipating the starting signal
- a start to a race or time trial in which the competitor is already travelling at speed as he passes the starting line
- any promising beginning
- an initial advantage over others
see under get off the ground.