noun, plural fresh·men.
- a student in the first year of the course at a university, college, or high school.
- a novice; beginner.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a freshman: to outgrow one’s freshman attitudes.
- lacking seniority or experience; junior: a freshman senator.
- required of or suitable for freshmen: freshman courses.
- initial; first: This is my freshman year with the company.
mid-16c., “newcomer, novice,” from Freshmen.(adj.1) + (n.). Sense of “university student in first year” is attested from 1590s. Related: