- characterized by lack of seriousness or sense: frivolous conduct.
- self-indulgently carefree; unconcerned about or lacking any serious purpose.
- (of a person) given to trifling or undue levity: a frivolous, empty-headed person.
- of little or no weight, worth, or importance; not worthy of serious notice: a frivolous suggestion.
- not serious or sensible in content, attitude, or behaviour; sillya frivolous remark
- unworthy of serious or sensible treatment; unimportantfrivolous details
mid-15c., from Latin frivolus “silly, empty, trifling, worthless, brittle,” diminutive of *frivos “broken, crumbled,” from friare “break, rub away, crumble.” Related: Frivolously; frivolousness.