- a herd or school of whales.
- Eastern New England, Nautical. a social meeting, visit, or the like, as between whaling vessels at sea.
verb (used without object), gammed, gam·ming.
- (of whales) to assemble into a herd or school.
- Nautical. (of the officers and crews of two whaling vessels) to visit or converse with one another for social purposes.
- Eastern New England. to participate in a gam or social visit.
- a school of whales
- nautical an informal visit between crew members of whalers
- NZ a flock of large sea birds
verb gams, gamming or gammed
- (intr) (of whales) to form a school
- nautical (of members of the crews of whalers) to visit (each other) informally
- (tr) US to visit or exchange visits with
- slang a leg, esp a woman’s shapely leg
“a leg,” 1781, see gams.