- a native of Gascony, France, the inhabitants of which were reputedly very boastful.
- (lowercase) a boaster or braggart.
- pertaining to Gascony or its people.
- (lowercase) boastful; bragging.
- rare a boaster; braggart
- a native or inhabitant of Gascony
- the dialect of French spoken in Gascony
- of or relating to Gascony, its inhabitants, or their dialect of French
“native of Gascony,” late 14c., from Middle French Gascon, from Vulgar Latin *Wasco, from Latin Vasco, singular of Vascones, the name of the ancient inhabitants of the Pyrénées (see Basque). Proverbially a boastful people, hence gasconade (n.), “bragging talk.”