- a long, deep wound or cut; slash.
- Slang: Vulgar.
- the vagina.
- Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.a contemptuous term used to refer to a woman considered as a sex object.
verb (used with object)
- to make a long, deep cut in; slash.
- (tr) to make a long deep cut or wound in; slash
- a long deep cut or wound
- slang surplus to requirements; unnecessary, extra, or spare
1540s, from Middle English garce (early 13c.), from Old North French garser “to scarify, cut, slash” (Old French *garse), apparently from Vulgar Latin *charassare, from Greek kharassein “engrave,” from PIE *gher- “to scrape, scratch” (cf. character). Loss of -r- is characteristic (see ass (n.2)). Slang use for “vulva” dates to mid-1700s.
1560s, alteration of garsen (late 14c.), from Old North French garser “to cut, slash” (see gash (n.)). Related: Gashed; gashing.
- To make a long, deep cut in; slash deeply.
- A long, deep cut.
- A deep flesh wound.