verb (used with or without object), gem·i·nat·ed, gem·i·nat·ing.
- to make or become doubled or paired.
- Also gem·i·nat·ed. combined or arranged in pairs; twin; coupled.
- Phonetics. a doubled consonant sound.
adjective (ˈdʒɛmɪnɪt, -ˌneɪt) Also: geminated
- combined in pairs; doubleda geminate leaf; a geminate consonant
- to arrange or be arranged in pairsthe “t”s in “fitted” are geminated
“duplicated, found in pairs,” 1590s, from Latin geminatus “twinned, equal,” past participle of geminare “to double, repeat,” related to geminus “twin,” perhaps from PIE *yem- “to pair.” As a verb, from 1630s. Related: Geminated; geminating.
- Occurring in pairs.