- a combining form meaning “that which produces,” used in the formation of compound words: endogen; hydrogen.
- informal informationgive me the gen on your latest project See also gen up
- Bible Genesis
suffix forming nouns
- producing or that which produceshydrogen
- something producedcarcinogen
word-forming element technically meaning “something produced,” but mainly, in modern use, “thing that produces or causes,” from French -gène (18c.), from Greek -genes “born of, produced by,” related to genos “birth” (see genus). Originally in late 18th century chemistry and probably reflecting misunderstanding of -genes, as though it meant “that which produces.”
- One that is produced:phosgene.