verb (used with object), ges·tat·ed, ges·tat·ing.
- to carry in the womb during the period from conception to delivery.
- to think of and develop (an idea, opinion, plan, etc.) slowly in the mind.
verb (used without object), ges·tat·ed, ges·tat·ing.
- to experience the process of gestating offspring.
- to develop slowly.
- (tr) to carry (developing young) in the uterus during pregnancy
- (tr) to develop (a plan or idea) in the mind
- (intr) to be in the process of gestating
1866, back-formation from gestation. Related: Gestated; gestating.