verb (used with object), gla·ci·at·ed, gla·ci·at·ing.
- to cover with ice or glaciers.
- to affect by glacial action.
verb (used without object), gla·ci·at·ed, gla·ci·at·ing.
- to become frozen or covered with ice or glaciers.
- to cover or become covered with glaciers or masses of ice
- (tr) to subject to the effects of glaciers, such as denudation and erosion
1620s, “to freeze;” 1865 in reference to glaciers, from Latin glaciatus, past participle of glaciare “to turn to ice,” from glacies (see glacial).