noun, verb (used with object), glaired, glair·ing.
- the white of an egg.
- a glaze or size made of egg white.
- any viscous substance like egg white.
verb (used with object)
- to coat with glair.
- white of egg, esp when used as a size, glaze, or adhesive, usually in bookbinding
- any substance resembling this
- (tr) to apply glair to (something)
white of an egg, c.1300, from Old French glaire “white of egg, slime, mucus” (12c.), from Vulgar Latin *claria (ovi) “white part (of an egg),” from Latin clarus “bright, clear” (see clear (adj.)).