- a faint or unsteady light; gleam.
- a dim perception; inkling.
verb (used without object)
- to shine faintly or unsteadily; twinkle, shimmer, or flicker.
- to appear faintly or dimly.
- (of a light, candle, etc) to glow faintly or flickeringly
- to be indicated faintlyhope glimmered in his face
- a glow or twinkle of light
- a faint indication
early 14c., “shine brightly,” a frequentative from Proto-Germanic *glim-, root of Old English glæm “brightness” (see (n.)). Sense shifted 15c. to “shine faintly.” Cf. Dutch glimmeren, German glimmeren “to shine dimly.” Related: Glimmered; glimmering.