- the quality or state of being impressive or awesome: the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains.
- the quality or state of being lofty or elevated in conception or treatment: the grandeur of a prose style.
- the quality or state of being exalted in some deliberate way: the grandeur of a royal court.
- an instance of something that is grand: the grandeurs of Rembrandt’s paintings.
- personal greatness, esp when based on dignity, character, or accomplishments
- magnificence; splendour
- pretentious or bombastic behaviour
c.1500, “loftiness, height,” from Middle French grandeur “grandness, greatness,” Old French grandor (12c.), from grand “great” (see (adj.)). Extended sense of “majesty, stateliness” is first recorded 1660s.