- something that happens; occurrence; event.
- an unconventional dramatic or artistically orchestrated performance, often a series of discontinuous events involving audience participation.
- any event considered worthwhile, unusual, or interesting.
- an occurrence; event
- an improvised or spontaneous display or performance consisting of bizarre and haphazard events
- informal fashionable and up-to-the-minute
mid-15c., “chance, luck,” from present participle of happen; meaning “occurrence” is 1550s. Sense of “spontaneous event or display” is from 1959 in the argot of artists. Happenings “events” was noted by Fowler as a vogue word from c.1905.