- a person who has an intense dislike for another person or thing (often used in combination): I’m a big hater of opera. Are you a dog-hater?
- Informal. a person who thrives on showing hate toward, criticizing, or belittling other people or things, usually unfairly: The guy is just a hater, looking for a fight.
- someone who hates a specified person or thinga passionate hater of tyranny
- (in combination)a woman-hater; a cop-hater
- informal, mainly US and Canadian a grudging or spiteful person, esp one who disparages othersDon’t let the haters get you down
late 14c., “one who hates, an enemy,” agent noun from hate (v.).