- forward movement; progress in a forward direction: The ship’s headway was slowed by the storm.
- progress in general: headway in a career.
- rate of progress: a slight headway against concerted opposition.
- the time interval or distance between two vehicles, as automobiles, ships, or railroad or subway cars, traveling in the same direction over the same route.
- make headway, to proceed forward; advance; progress.
- motion in a forward directionthe vessel made no headway
- progress or rate of progresshe made no headway with the problem
- another name for headroom
- the distance or time between consecutive trains, buses, etc, on the same route
see make headway.