- (used as an exclamation of greeting); hello!
- an informal, simplified spelling of high: hi fidelity.
- Hawaii (approved especially for use with zip code).
- Hawaiian Islands.
- Meteorology. heat index.
- an informal word for hello
- an expression used to attract attention
- Hawaii (state)
- Hawaiian Islands
greeting, 1862, American English (first recorded reference is to speech of a Kansas Indian), originally to attract attention (15c.), probably a variant of Middle English hy, hey (late 15c.) also an exclamation to call attention. Extended form hiya attested from 1940.