noun, plural i·co·nog·ra·phies.
- symbolic representation, especially the conventional meanings attached to an image or images.
- subject matter in the visual arts, especially with reference to the conventions regarding the treatment of a subject in artistic representation.
- the study or analysis of subject matter and its meaning in the visual arts; iconology.
- a representation or a group of representations of a person, place, or thing, as a portrait or a collection of portraits.
noun plural -phies
- the symbols used in a work of art or art movement
- the conventional significance attached to such symbols
- a collection of pictures of a particular subject, such as Christ
- the representation of the subjects of icons or portraits, esp on coins