noun, plural ig·loos.
- an Eskimo house, being a dome-shaped hut usually built of blocks of hard snow.
- Informal. any dome-shaped construction thought to resemble an igloo: immense silos topped with steel igloos.
- Military. a dome-shaped building for the storage of rockets or other munitions.
- an excavation made by a seal in the snow over its breathing hole in the ice.
noun plural -loos or -lus
- a dome-shaped Inuit house, usually built of blocks of solid snow
- a hollow made by a seal in the snow over its breathing hole in the ice
1824, Canadian English, from an Eskimo word for “house, dwelling” (cf. Greenlandic igdlo “house”).