verb (used with object)
- to make known; tell; relate; disclose: to impart a secret.
- to give; bestow; communicate: to impart knowledge.
- to grant a part or share of.
verb (used without object)
- to grant a part or share; give.
- to communicate (information); relate
- to give or bestow (something, esp an abstract quality)to impart wisdom
early 15c., “to give a part of (one’s possessions); late 15c., “to share, take part,” from Old French impartir (14c.), from Late Latin impartire (also impertire) “to share in, divide with another, communicate,” from assimilated form of in- “into, in” (see in- (2)) + partire “to divide, part” (see part (v.)). Related: Imparted; imparting.