- of, relating to, or characterized by sudden or rash action, emotion, etc.; impulsive: an impetuous decision; an impetuous person.
- having great impetus; moving with great force; violent: the impetuous winds.
- liable to act without consideration; rash; impulsive
- resulting from or characterized by rashness or haste
- poetic moving with great force or violence; rushingthe impetuous stream hurtled down the valley
late 14c., “hot-tempered, fierce,” from Old French impetuos (13c.) and directly from Late Latin impetuosus “impetuous, violent,” from Latin impetus “attack” (see impetus). Related: Impetuously; impetuousness.