- the quality or state of being important; consequence; significance.
- important position or standing; personal or social consequence.
- consequential air or manner: an air of bustling importance.
- Obsolete. an important matter.
- Obsolete. importunity.
- Obsolete. import or meaning.
- the state of being important; significance
- social status; standing; esteema man of importance
- meaning or signification
- an important matter
c.1500, from Middle French importance or directly from Medieval Latin importantia, from importantem (see important).