- unable to restrain natural discharges or evacuations of urine or feces.
- unable to contain or retain (usually followed by of): incontinent of temper.
- lacking in moderation or self-control, especially of sexual desire.
- unceasing or unrestrained: an incontinent flow of talk.
- lacking in restraint or control, esp sexually
- relating to or exhibiting involuntary urination or defecation
- (foll by of) having little or no control (over)
- unrestrained; uncontrolled
- obsolete words for immediately
late 14c., “wanting in self restraint,” from Old French incontinent, from Latin incontinentem (nominative incontinens) “incontinent, immoderate, intemperate,” from in- “not, opposite of” (see in- (1)) + continens (see continent). Originally chiefly of sexual appetites; sense of “unable to control bowels or bladder” first attested 1828.
- Lacking normal voluntary control of excretory functions.
- Lacking sexual restraint; unchaste.