noun, plural in·de·pend·en·cies.
- independence(def 1).
- a territory not under the control of any other power.
- (initial capital letter) Ecclesiastical.
- the principle that the individual congregation or church is an autonomous and equalitarian society free from any external ecclesiastical control.
- the polity based on this principle.
noun plural -cies
- a territory or state free from the control of any other power
- another word for independence
- (esp in the Congregational Church) the principle upholding the independence of each local church or congregation