noun, plural in·fe·lic·i·ties for 3, 5.
- the quality or state of being unhappy; unhappiness.
- misfortune; bad luck.
- an unfortunate circumstance; misfortune.
- inaptness, inappropriateness, or awkwardness, as of action or expression.
- something inapt or infelicitous: infelicities of style.
noun plural -ties
- the state or quality of being unhappy or unfortunate
- an instance of bad luck or mischance; misfortune
- something, esp a remark or expression, that is inapt or inappropriate
late 14c., from Latin infelicitas “ill luck, misfortune,” from infelix (genitive infelicis) “unfruitful, barren; unfortunate, unhappy, causing misfortune, unlucky,” from in- “not, opposite of” (see in- (1)) + felix (see felicity).