- the basic, underlying framework or features of a system or organization.
- the fundamental facilities and systems serving a country, city, or area, as transportation and communication systems, power plants, and schools.
- the military installations of a country.
- the basic structure of an organization, system, etc
- the stock of fixed capital equipment in a country, including factories, roads, schools, etc, considered as a determinant of economic growth
1887, from French infrastructure (1875); see infra- + structure (n.). The installations that form the basis for any operation or system. Originally in a military sense.