- a person who makes an inquisition.
- a questioner, especially an unduly curious or harsh one.
- a person who investigates in an official capacity.
- a member of the Inquisition.
- a person who inquires, esp deeply, searchingly, or ruthlessly
- (often capital) an official of the ecclesiastical court of the Inquisition
c.1400, from Old French inquisiteur (c.1400) or directly from Latin inquisitor “searcher, examiner,” in law, “an investigator, collector of evidence,” agent noun from Latin inquirere (see inquire). As the title of an officer of the Inquisition, from 1540s. Related: Inquisitorial.