- the place or opening at which a fluid is taken into a channel, pipe, etc.
- an act or instance of taking in: an intake of oxygen.
- something that is taken in.
- a quantity taken in: an intake of 50 gallons a minute.
- a narrowing; contraction.
- a thing or a quantity taken inan intake of students
- the act of taking in
- the opening through which fluid enters a duct or channel, esp the air inlet of a jet engine
- a ventilation shaft in a mine
- a contraction or narrowingan intake in a garment
c.1800, “place where water is taken into a channel or pipe,” from+ . Meaning “act of taking in” (food, breath, etc.) is first attested 1808.