- capable of being understood; comprehensible; clear: an intelligible response.
- Philosophy. apprehensible by the mind only; conceptual.
- able to be understood; comprehensible
- capable of being apprehended by the mind or intellect alone
- (in metaphysical systems such as those of Plato or Kant) denoting that metaphysical realm which is accessible to the intellect as opposed to the world of mere phenomena accessible to the senses
late 14c., “able to understand,” from Latin intelligibilis, intellegibilis “that can understand, that can be understood,” from intellegere “to understand” (see ). In English, sense of “capable of being understood” first recorded c.1600. Related: Intelligibly.