- Jane,1884–1950, U.S. actress and playwright.
- a hood, esp a loose one
- the hooded habit of a monk
- a cover fitted to a chimney to increase ventilation and prevent draughts
- the part of a car body that supports the windscreen and the bonnet
- aeronautics another word for cowling
- to cover or provide with a cowl
- to make a monk of
Old English cule, from earlier cugele, from Late Latin cuculla “monk’s cowl,” variant of Latin cucullus “hood, cowl,” of uncertain origin. Cowling is 1917 in the aircraft sense.