- the first king of the Biblical kingdom of the Hebrews in N Palestine.
- (lowercase) a large wine bottle having a capacity of about four ordinary bottles or 3 liters (3.3 quarts).
- a wine bottle holding the equivalent of four normal bottles (approximately 104 ounces)Also called: double-magnum
noun Old Testament
- the first king of the northern kingdom of Israel (?922–?901 bc)
- king of the northern kingdom of Israel (?786–?746 bc)
1816, “large wine bottle,” from Jeroboam, “a mighty man of valour” (I Kings xi:28) “who made Israel to sin” (xiv:16), from Hebrew Yarobh’am, literally “let the people increase.”