- a city in and the capital of Shandong province, in E China.
- a maritime province in E China. 59,189 sq. mi. (153,299 sq. km). Capital: Jinan.
- a peninsula in the E part of this province, extending into the Yellow Sea.
- an industrial city in NE China, capital of Shandong province; probably over 3000 years old. Pop: 2 654 000 (2005 est)
- a province of NE China, on the Yellow Sea and the Gulf of Chihli: part of the earliest organized state of China (1520–1030 bc); consists chiefly of the fertile plain of the lower Yellow River, with mountains over 1500 m (5000 ft) high in the centre. Capital: Jinan. Pop: 91 250 000 (2003 est). Area: 153 300 sq km (59 189 sq miles)