- AnthonyMad Anthony, 1745–96, American Revolutionary War general.
- JohnMarion Michael MorrisonDuke, 1907–79, U.S. film actor.
- a township in N New Jersey.
- a city in SE Michigan, near Detroit.
- a male given name: from an Old English word meaning “wagonmaker.”
- John, real name Marion Michael Morrison. 1907–79, US film actor, noted esp for his many Westerns, which include Stagecoach (1939), The Alamo (1960), and True Grit (1969), for which he won an Oscar
surname, by 1319, variant of Wain, representing wainwright, wainer (see wain) or perhaps “one who dwells by the tavern with the sign of the wain.”