- Also key punch. Also called card punch. a machine, operated by a keyboard, for coding information by punching holes in cards or paper tape in specified patterns.
verb (used with object)
- to punch holes in (a punch card or paper tape), using a keypunch.
- to insert (data) into a computer by means of a keypunch: to keypunch code numbers.
- Also called: card punch a device having a keyboard that is operated manually to transfer data onto punched cards, paper tape, etc
- to transfer (data) onto punched cards, paper tape, etc, by using a key punch