- a city in and the capital of Moldavia (Moldova), in the central part.
- a region in NE Romania: formerly a principality that united with Wallachia to form Romania. Capital: Jassy.
- Official name Moldova. Formerly Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic. a republic in SE Europe: formed in 1940 from the former republic of Moldavia and the ceded Romanian territory of Bessarabia. 13,100 sq. mi. (33,929 sq. km). Capital: Kishinev.
- the Russian name for Chişinǎu
- another name for Moldova
- a former principality of E Europe, consisting of the basins of the Rivers Prut and Dniester: the E part (Bessarabia) became Moldova; the W part remains a province of Romania
Latinized form of Moldova.