- a simple past tense and past participle of kneel.
verb (used without object), knelt or kneeled, kneel·ing.
- to go down or rest on the knees or a knee.
- the action or position of kneeling.
- a past tense and past participle of kneel
verb kneels, kneeling, knelt or kneeled
- (intr) to rest, fall, or support oneself on one’s knees
- the act or position of kneeling
Old English cneowlian, from cneow (see knee (n.)); cf. Middle Low German knelen, Middle Dutch cnielen, Dutch knielen Gothic knussjan. Past tense knelt is a modern formation (19c.) on analogy of feel/felt, etc. Related: Kneeling.