1. a series of knurls, as on a knob.
  2. Architecture. knulling.


  1. a small ridge or bead, especially one of a series, as on a button for decoration or on the edge of a thumbscrew to assist in obtaining a firm grip.
  2. a knur.

verb (used with object)

  1. to make knurls or ridges on.

verb (tr)

  1. to impress with a series of fine ridges or serrations


  1. a small ridge, esp one of a series providing a rough surface that can be gripped

“hard excrescence,” c.1600, probably a diminutive of Middle English knor “knot” (c.1400), related to gnarl, from Proto-Germanic *knur- (cf. German knorren “a knotty excrescence”). Related: Knurly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

50 queries 1.703