- a small lap, flap, or loosely hanging part, especially of a garment or headdress.
- a projecting, lobelike structure in certain invertebrate animals.
- Ornithology. a wattle or other fleshy process on a bird’s head.
- a rack or bar containing needles, situated at the front of the reed, and used in the production of figured patterns.
- an ornamented fabric produced by lappet weaving.
- a small hanging flap or piece of lace, etc, such as one dangling from a headdress
- zoology a lobelike hanging structure, such as the wattle on a bird’s head
n.“a small flap,” 1570s; earlier “lobe of a body part” (early 15c.), from Middle English lappe “lap” (see lap (n.)) + -et, diminutive suffix.