- expended, bestowed, or occurring in profusion: lavish spending.
- using or giving in great amounts; prodigal (often followed by of): lavish of his time; lavish of affection.
verb (used with object)
- to expend or give in great amounts or without limit: to lavish gifts on a person.
- prolific, abundant, or profuse
- generous; unstinting; liberal
- extravagant; prodigal; wastefullavish expenditure
- (tr) to give, expend, or apply abundantly, generously, or in profusion
v.1540s, from lavish (adj.). Related: Lavished; lavishing. adj.mid-15c., from Middle French lavasse (n.) “torrent of rain, deluge,” from Old French lavache, from laver “to wash,” from Latin lavare “to wash” (see lave). Related: Lavishly.