- the act of a person or thing that makes: The making of a violin requires great skill.
- structure; constitution; makeup.
- the means or cause of success or advancement: to be the making of someone.
- Usually makings. capacity or potential: He has the makings of a first-rate officer.
- material of which something may be made: the makings for a tossed salad.
- Older Slang.paper and tobacco with which to make a hand-rolled cigarette.
- something made.
- the quantity made: a making of butter.
- in the making, in the process of being made; developing or evolving; growing: Our space scientists see history in the making.
- potentials, qualities, or materialshe had the makings of a leader
- Also called: rollings slang the tobacco and cigarette paper used for rolling a cigarette
- profits; earnings
- the act of a person or thing that makes or the process of being made
- (in combination)watchmaking
- be the making of to cause the success of
- in the making in the process of becoming or being madea politician in the making
- something made or the quantity of something made at one time
- make-up; composition