- speculative thought dealing systematically with concepts extending beyond the limits of psychology as an empirical science.
- the study of philosophical questions, such as the relation between mind and body, that go beyond the laws of experimental psychology
- any attempt to state the general laws of psychology
- another word for parapsychology
- Philosophical inquiry supplementing the empirical science of psychology and dealing with aspects of the mind that cannot be evaluated on the basis of objective or empirical evidence.
- A comprehensive system of psychology involving several different approaches to mental processes as described in the Freudian theory of the mind.