- the middle or interior part of a country.
- (initial capital letter) the dialect of English spoken in the central part of England.
- (initial capital letter) the dialect of English spoken in the southern parts of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey, and in West Virginia, Kentucky, and eastern Tennessee, and throughout the southern Appalachians.
- in or of the midland; inland.
- (initial capital letter) of or relating to Midland.
- a city in W Texas.
- a city in central Michigan.
- a town in S Ontario, in S Canada, on Georgian Bay of Lake Huron.
- the central part of England; the midland counties.
- the central or inland part of a country
- (as modifier)a midland region
- the Midlands (functioning as plural or singular) the central counties of England, including Warwickshire, Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Staffordshire, the former West Midlands metropolitan county, and Worcestershire: characterized by manufacturing industries
adj.early 15c., mydlonde; mid + land (n.). As a noun from 1550s, first of the Midlands of England.