- the middle of the night; twelve o’clock at night.
- of or relating to midnight.
- resembling midnight, as in darkness.
- burn the midnight oil, to study or work far into the night: After months of burning the midnight oil, he really needed a vacation.
- the middle of the night; 12 o’clock at night
- (as modifier)the midnight hour
- burn the midnight oil to work or study late into the night
n.Old English mid-niht, or middre niht (with dative). See mid + night. Midnight oil symbolizing “late night work” is attested from 1630s.