- the middle or halfway point of a term, as a school term or term of office.
- Often midterms. Informal. an examination or series of examinations at the middle of a school term.
- pertaining to or occurring on or about the middle of a term, as a school term or term of office: a midterm recess; midterm elections.
- the middle of a term in a school, university, etc
- (as modifier)midterm exam
- US politics
- the middle of a term of office, esp of a presidential term, when congressional and local elections are held
- (as modifier)midterm elections
- the middle of the gestation period
- (as modifier)midterm checkup See term (def. 6)