- a strong military spirit or policy.
- the principle or policy of maintaining a large military establishment.
- the tendency to regard military efficiency as the supreme ideal of the state and to subordinate all other interests to those of the military.
- military spirit; pursuit of military ideals
- domination by the military in the formulation of policies, ideals, etc, esp on a political level
- a policy of maintaining a strong military organization in aggressive preparedness for war
n.1864, from French militarisme, from militaire “military” (see military).