- a hereditary sovereign, as a king, queen, or emperor.
- a sole and absolute ruler of a state or nation.
- a person or thing that holds a dominant position: a monarch of international shipping.
- monarch butterfly.
- a sovereign head of state, esp a king, queen, or emperor, who rules usually by hereditary right
- a supremely powerful or pre-eminent person or thing
- Also called: milkweed a large migratory butterfly, Danaus plexippus, that has orange-and-black wings and feeds on the milkweed plant: family Danaidae
n.mid-15c., from Middle French monarque (14c.) or directly from Late Latin monarcha, from Greek monarkhes “one who rules alone” (see monarchy). As a type of large butterfly, from 1890.