- a measure of the money in circulation.
- Music. major.
- modal auxiliary.
- Economics. monetary aggregate: issued periodically by the Federal Reserve Board as various measures of money supply (M-1, M-1A, M-2, etc.).Compare L
- British. motorway (used with a road number to designate a major highway): the M1.
noun plural m’s, M’s or Ms
- the 13th letter and tenth consonant of the modern English alphabet
- a speech sound represented by this letter, usually a bilabial nasal, as in mat
- medium (size)
- currency mark(s)
- astronomy Messier catalogue; a catalogue published in 1784, in which 103 nebulae and clusters are listed using a numerical systemM13 is the globular cluster in Hercules
- physics modulus
- (in Britain) motorwaythe M1 runs from London to Leeds
- (in Australia)
- mature audience (used to describe a category of film certified as suitable for viewing by anyone over the age of 15)
- (as modifier)an M film
- logic the middle term of a syllogism
- physics mutual inductance
- chem molar
- (Roman numeral) 1000See Roman numerals
- Malta (international car registration)
13th letter, from Greek mu, from Semitic mem. The Roman symbol for 1,000; sometimes used in this sense in English 15c.-16c.; but in late 20c. newspaper headlines it stands for million. As a thickness of type, from 1680s. abbr.
- Abbreviation of mass, meter